Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fire Safety Week

Good news! I survived my first parent teacher conferences! Yay!!! And even better than that, they were very successful (with the exception of the few parents who didn't show up)! I also made it through my second observation by my principal--half way done with that now!  All-in-all, a busy, successful week!

Today, we took our first stab at a making words activity in reading groups, and they did so well! I was worried that some of my lower kids would have a hard time, but they didn't at all! They loved it, and they were so proud of themselves when they made a new word! It was great to see them be that proud of themselves. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures.

In math, we started working on doubles facts. One of the teachers on my team shared a doubles rap with me, complete with movements. The kids loved it! 

They were adorable doing the rap to themselves when they were doing independent work. We also played a doubles facts memory game, which I also forgot to take pictures of.

On Monday, the local fire department came to talk to the kids about fire safety. You would have thought there were celebrities in the school that day. Today, we talked about what they learned from the firefighters (also called fighter-fighters by my kids) and made it into a safety tips book! Are anyone else's students as excited about making books as mine are? They LOVE it!

They turned out adorable!

They learned to crawl out of the house instead of walk.

They learned to go to a meeting place to find their families. My kids who didn't have meeting places went home and decided on one with their families.

Just one more round of conferences and Walk-a-Thon, then the weekend!! We are also starting our unit on sharks tomorrow--I'm super excited and I think the kiddos will be too!

1 comment:

  1. I love the doubles rap. My students and I have been singing it every day lately. I'm having a giveaway if you want to check it out!
    ą®Rikki
    The Hive

    ReplyDelete