Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, January 18, 2013

SNOW Much to Catch Up On!

We have had such a busy (and productive) week! I love ending the week feeling like we actually got necessary things accomplished, and even had time for some fun! This week was all about snow for us--and we had so much fun with it!

One day, we collected data about our favorite snow activities and recorded it in a bar graph.


We have done this kind of activity before, and they absolutely love it! They get to collaborate with the other students and see which ones like the same things they do. It's the little things that get them excited, and I love that.


Our choices were making snowmen, having a snowball fight, sledding, or staying inside and drinking hot chocolate. Hot chocolate and snowball fights won by a landslide!

My favorite part of the week? Making snow!! Start with this--


I found it at Hob Lob with their science kits. The kids did this in little Dixie cups and it worked just as well, and it was less mess.


Add a little water and...



A little more...


So fun!! The best part--I hear you can lay this out to dry and use it again! My original plan was to have them draw and write predictions about what would happen once you added the water. But once I thought about how drawing snow would be a little difficult, I decided just to do our predictions as a class discussion.

We rounded out the week by making paper snowflakes! I remember doing this in school (and also in a college "math" class) and loving it! We did it very simply--just some coffee filters folded in half 3 times. 



They had so much fun with this! Once they had a few to practice on, they got the hang of it and made some very good snowflakes!

And now I am glad to say--happy 3 day weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, We are wrapping up our snow activities and a graphing unit. It never even occurred to me to combine the 2 and graph their favorite snow activities. Thanks for the idea. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI! So happy to find another Okie! I'm sure it is fine to share notes. I'm going to blog about some of it, but if you'd like to see part of the book we got send me your email and I'll see if I can send some copies your way.
    Tammy
    First Grade @ Storybook Cafe
    dtklinger@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete