Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Daily 5 and Curriculum Planning

So today was our first day to implement Daily 5. And all things considered, it went 
really well! Especially if I don't mention the students that decided to make up the words they rainbow wrote in Word Work instead of our spelling words that we had just talked about 5 minutes before, and the CD player that quit playing in the middle of a book that caused one student to yell at the top of her lungs from across the room to let me know. I guess those headphones really do block out noise! Even with that, I was really proud of how hard my kiddos worked!


We had been talking about Daily 5, practicing, and building stamina for the last week and a half, which made all the difference in the world. We were able to work at each center for 15 minutes today before they started to get antsy! I am still waiting for the Daily 5 book I ordered to come in (rather impatiently I might add), so all of my ideas are coming from reading countless blogs!


This morning, my team met to talk more about our outline for the year. 
Our school is using the curriculum maps pre-made by Common Core. 
And let me just say--thank goodness

It has made my first year of planning so much easier! They are already set up for you with TONS of ideas, and they list all of the standards covered. Our first unit is on alphabet books. We are starting this week with the much-loved Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. My kids 
loved that they had already seen the book and knew some of the words. This week we will taste coconut and graph about if we liked it or not! So excited! I'll have pictures to share soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment